Traditionally, life coaching has been about setting goals and outcomes and using techniques and strategies to bring about the desired outcomes. A coach would have a selection of tools, (or a specific set of tools), in her/his ‘tool box’ to choose from for specific purposes.
Sometimes these tools and techniques would bring about the required result for the client, but very often, after some time, the client would revert to old habits. Whilst many of the tools, techniques, and strategies in the coach’s kit are still relevant in some circumstances, many coaches are turning to a new approach.
This is the art of Transformative Conversation.
Transformative conversation (or coaching) begins with deep listening from the perspective of the coach, (I.E. the coach listens to the client). The ensuing conversation, (the important part), is an exploration of the clients’ experience. The purpose of the conversation is to bring about fundamental changes for the client, sometimes within a very short time frame.
Transformative coaching is all about getting directly to the heart of a given situation and discovering what is already there that is useful and/or that which needs to be re-evaluated.
Here’s how it works:
- My client will tell me their story as it relates to their reason for seeking out coaching. This is often a one-time ‘event’, although further elaboration may be required later – only as necessary.
- Together, with the client, we explore what the client would like to achieve by the coaching process.
- Deeper exploration into any given situation will be necessary in order to solve the problem/s the client has been experiencing.
- Evaluation of any changes that may have occurred for the client which can take place at any time during any coaching session.
- Transformational coaching is about guiding the client towards the answers and solutions that they have yet to uncover within themselves. This is what I like to call “Psychological and Emotional well-being” and it’s something we all have access to.
“After just one call with Zander, which took just over an hour and a half, I started to see things more clearly. Within days I noticed I was doing things differently and my overall outlook and mood changed. It was as if he dispersed the clouds and allowed the sun to shine on things in a way I’d never seen before.
Zander showed me how I can transfer my new-found understanding onto any situation I might encounter in the future. I now feel ready for anything life can throw at me.”
~ Jim R. from Glasgow, UK
Some subjects past clients discussed
There are a few subjects around which most of my conversations with clients have centred. Here are the most common.
- People Pleasing
- How to be happy
- Feeling vulnerable
- Confidence / Self-esteem
- Self-care / self-acceptance
- Feelings of insecurity and jealousy
Is There A Contract?
I do not ask my clients to sign a contract. We merely come together to have a conversation. The client decides how long they wish to continue having that conversation.
Some clients decide that they are happy enough after only one two-hour session and I hear from them only occasionally. Other clients take up to a half dozen coaching sessions before deciding they have gained enough from the sessions. Still other clients experience a complete turnaround and they often contact me when they have something of a positive nature, (an insight or new understanding), that they want to share with me.
If a client is not suited to my style of coaching, it almost invariably becomes apparent to one or both of us within a very short time.
How long are the coaching sessions?
I always allow up to two hours for each session. This is because of the conversational nature of transformative coaching. However, sometimes the session will come to a natural end for that particular session.
Over time, our conversations have a tendency to become deeper as we explore further and the changes the client experiences become more profound.
How do I pay for my coaching sessions?
As stated above, there is no contract to sign. You can end the conversation at any time.
When your session is booked and confirmed, you can pay by debit or credit card no less than 24 hours prior to the session. This is to allow us both, client and coach, to plan around the session.
If you feel you could benefit from life coaching, but think it may be ‘a little too pricey’, get in touch anyway. You may be surprised.
How to book a life coaching session.
There are a couple of options:
1. For a limited time, I am offering short introductory sessions of 40 minutes at a reduced rate, (donation).
2. If you are convinced that you would like to engage in a longer, (up to two-hours), transformative life coaching session, send a message via the Contact Page with “Full session” in the ‘Subject’ field. I will get back to you within 48 hours.